Most Kazakhs prefer meat; hence, the favorite national dish is beshbarmak, made of lamb, horse meat, beef, and dough. This is not the only dish that contains horse meat, however. Others include:
Kazakhs also drink mare’s milk, Kumys, to treat lung and intestinal-gastric illnesses.
Beyond these dishes, the national cuisine is quite diverse. Over one hundred ethnicities live in Kazakhstan, so people are quite familiar with other dishes, such as:
- Asian pilav, made with meat and rice
- Russian pelmenis and blinys
- Korean spicy salads
- Uighur noodles
Other popular culinary choices are found in Ukrainian, Uzbek, and European restaurants and cafes.
- 300 g wheat flour
- 140 g water
- 2 g salt
- 400 g pumpkin
- 80 g fat of sheep's tail
- 100 g onion
- 10 g ground pepper
- Cut pumpkin and fat into small cubes.
- Add the chopped onion, salt, and pepper.
- Mix everything together.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at a temperature of 200-220 degrees Centigrade.
- Serve hot or cold.
- 96 g beef (shoulder) or 90 g mutton (ham or shoulder)
- 4 eggs
- 20 g milk
- 10 g butter or margarine
- 60 g potato
- 40 g pickled cucumber
- 40 g carrot
- 20 g canned peas
- Slice boiled meat, potatoes, carrots and cucumbers.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix it all together and add 40 g sour cream.
- Decorate with peas, slices of meat and greens or pickled vegetables.
Fish a la Irtysh
- 120 g fish (perch or sheat)
- 160 g potato
- 100 g fresh or pickled cucumber
- 60 g tomato
- 4 boiled eggs
- 80 g mayonnaise
- Fillet the fish.
- Fry it lightly on both sides.
- Cool and slice it.
- Chop cucumbers and potatoes
- Mix with fish and mayonnaise.
- Arrange the salad in a pyramid
- Decorate with slices of fish, tomatoes and eggs.
- Pour mayonnaise on top.
Kespe (Noodles) a la Kazakh
- 130 g beef or mutton (brisket)
- 64 g vegetable oil
- 120 g onion
- 3 g garlic
- 1 g ground red pepper
- 240 g wheat flour
- 6 eggs
- 50 g water
- 1 g salt
- Prepare thick dough.
- Let it sit for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into small sheets 1.5 mm thick.
- Dry them a little.
- Roll them up and slice them into thin strips (noodles).
- Cut meat into 23 mm cubes
- Fry them in vegetable oil
- Add salt, pepper and bouillon.
- Cook until done.
- Boil noodles
- Serve them with meat, and sprinkle the mixture with greens.
The blog KazakhWorld posted about Kazakh cuisine.